St. Luke’s Partners with Franklin Square Elementary/Middle School
Just two blocks away from St. Luke’s are two West Baltimore neighborhood schools: Franklin Square Elementary/Middle School (FSEM) and Vivian T. Thomas Medical Arts Academy (high school). For years, St. Luke’s has had young parishioners who attended these two schools and has had students come to the St. Luke’s summer camps and after school programs. Beginning in the spring of 2014, St. Luke’s increased its direct involvement with FSEM by first reaching out to the after school program and later to the school community of teachers, students, and families.
As part of this partnership, St. Luke’s parishioners have:
- Volunteered to assist teachers in instruction in the Pre K and first grade classrooms
- Worked with the 5th graders on a Black History month quilt (art, craft, and history combined)
- Formed a Photography Club and worked with the middle school to produce a year book for the 2014-2015 school year
- Helped with art and crafts and other support for the Parks and People Kids Grow after school program in 2014-2015
- provided household supplies (paper towels, cleaning supplies, soaps, etc.) monthly for distribution to the family volunteers who helped at FSEM and at the FSEM food pantry
- Partnered with the FSEM social worker to identify students and families in need and to provide assistance
- Recruited students who were behind in their reading skills to attend St. Luke’s week-long Camp Imagination in the summer of 2015; partnered with parishioners of the Church of the Good Shepherd, Ruxton who provided lunches for the Camp
- Worked with the families of the children in Camp Imagination to provide them with Thanksgiving dinner supplies and gift cards
- Partnered with Church of the Good Shephard and The Cathedral of the Incarnation for the 2015 Christmas Shop for the families from FSEM and Camp Imagination
- Elicited and fulfilled “Wish Lists” from the FSEM teachers in late 2015. Seven teachers requested classroom supplies ranging from pencils, crayons, and pencil sharpeners to books, flip charts, thumb drives, and calculators
- Supplied coats, hats, and gloves to the social worker for FSEM students during the cold weather
- Served on an ongoing Planning Team to write a plan for FSEM to expand services and community involvement as a Baltimore Community School.